Free Tax Course

My Sitemap

Hierarchical Sitemap

  • 1040 tax forms are provided by the IRS. With each 1040 tax form, there is a 1040 Instruction booklet as well as IRS publications to explain each line item on the 1040 tax form.

  • Your accounting method determines how you report your income and expenses. There are two main accounting methods when filing tax returns. The cash accounting method is the most often used by most taxpayers.

  • After you have figured your income, calculated your income tax, claimed your nonrefundable credits and added any additional tax you owe, you are ready to determine whether you are due a refund or if you owe an additional amount.

  • There are many adjustments to taxable income such as IRA deduction.

  • You can claim the following adjustments only if you are self employed. See Chapters 14 and 17 of the free tax course for a discussion of self employment and the tax consequences of being self employed.

  • If you work for someone and expect to qualify for the Earned Income Credit, you can choose to get part of the credit in advance.

  • You can deduct, as an adjustment to income, any payments you make to or on behalf of your spouse of former spouse, if your spouse must report these payments as alimony income.

  • Alimony or separate maintenance payments made under a court decree are taxable income to the person receiving them.

  • The tax laws gives special treatment to some types of income, allow special deductions for some types of expenses, and allow credits for certain taxpayers.

  • Errors on your tax return may delay your tax refund or result in notices being sent to you from the IRS. If you discover an error, you can file an amended federal tax return or claim for refund.



Looking for more IRS Deductions?