Free Tax Course

Amended Federal Tax Returns

Why file amended federal tax returns?

Errors on your tax return may delay your tax refund or result in notices being sent to you from the IRS. If you discover an error, you can file an amended federal tax return or claim for refund.

When to file amended federal tax returns?

You should correct your tax return if, after you have filed it, you find that:

  1. You did not report some income,
  2. You claimed deductions or credits you should not have claimed,
  3. You did not claim deductions or credits you should have claimed, or
  4. You should have claimed a different tax filing status. (You cannot change your tax filing status from Married filing jointly to married filing separately after the due date of the original tax return. However, an executor may be able to make this change for a decreased spouse.)
How to file an amended tax return?

To file an amended tax return, use form 1040X, Amended US Individual Income Tax Return. An amended tax return cannot be filed electronically. File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. If you are changing your Federal return, you may also have to change your state return.

Amended Federal Tax Returns



Looking for more IRS Deductions?