Free Tax Course

Estimated Tax Voucher

How to use estimated tax vouchers?

Each installment of the required annual amount must be sent with a Form 1040-ES estimated tax payment voucher. If you made estimated payments during the prior tax year, the IRS will mail you a current tax year Form 1040-ES. Payment vouchers will be preprinted with your name, address, and social security number.

Where to get estimated tax vouchers?

If you did not pay estimated taxes in the prior year, you can get a copy of the Form 1040-ES from the IRS. Once you have made your first payment, the IRS will mail you a Form 1040-ES package containing preprinted vouchers.

Where to mail the estimated tax voucher?

Use the window envelopes that come with the payment vouchers to insure you mail your estimated tax payment voucher to the correct address. The address for payments is different from the address to which you mail your tax return. Do no send estimated tax payments to the address in the Form 1040 instructions.

If you are making estimated tax payments and you change your address during the year, you must notify the IRS. To do this send a statement to the IRS Service Center where you filed your last tax return and provide all of the following information for yourself and your spouse.

  1. full name
  2. signature
  3. old address
  4. new address
  5. social security number

You can use Form 8822, Change of Address, for this purpose. You can continue to use your old preprinted vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.



Looking for more IRS Deductions?