Free Tax Course

Paying Tax

If your tax payments are less than your tax liability, the additional amount you owe will be shown on line 76 of Form 1040 "Amount you owe". To avoid interest and penalties in additional to any underpayment penalty, it is best to pay the amount you owe when you file your tax return. There are several ways to pay this amount including any penalty that you are figuring yourself.

Paying tax by Check or money order

You can send a check or money order with your tax return along with a Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher. Do not confuse this voucher with Form 1040-ES voucher that is used only for estimated tax payments. Make out your check or money order to "United States Treasury". Show your name, address, social security number, daytime telephone number and the tax year and tax form number (e.g. 2006, Form 1040) on the front of the check or money order.

Paying tax


Paying tax by Credit Card

To pay your tax by credit card, call 1-800-272-9829 or  1-888-729-1040 and follow the instructions. A convenience fee will be charged by the credit card processor based on the amount you are paying. You will be told what the convenience fee is when you call. Do not include the fee as part of your tax payment. At the end of the call, you will be given a confirmation number. Enter the confirmation number on page 1 of Form 1040 in the upper left corner.



Looking for more IRS Deductions?