Free Tax Course
<< Previous    [1]  2    Next >>

Tax Return Extensions

There may be circumstances that result in you not having enough time to file your tax return in a timely fashion. If this should happen, you may be able to get an extension of time to file your tax return from the IRS.

Automatic 6 month tax return extension

If you cannot file your tax return by the due date (which is April 15 for most taxpayers), you may be able to get an automatic 6 month extension of time to file your income tax return. There are special rules that apply to taxpayers living outside the United States or who are in the military.

To get the automatic tax return extension, you must file the Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Usually, your request means that if a tax return is due on April 15, you will have until October 15 of that year to file the actual income tax return.

Tax Return Extensions

What tax form to file to request an extension for filing tax return?

You must file the Form 4868 by the regular due date for your tax return. The required payment, if applicable, can be mailed with the Form 4868, paid by credit card or electronically debited from your bank account. Do not mail Form 4868 if electronically filing and paying by credit card. You can file your tax return any time before the 6 month extension period ends.

When can I not file for tax return extensions?

You cannot use the automatic extension of time to file if you want the IRS to figure your tax or if you are under a court order to file by the regular due date.

<< Previous    [1]  2    Next >>



Looking for more IRS Deductions?